El Barco Beans from Avila
Mille alueelle Espanjaa tämä on tyypillistä?
- Itsehallintoalue: Castile-Leon
El Barco Beans from Avila are noteworthy for their excellent cooking qualities and good organoleptic properties.
El Barco beans from Avila are dried beans from the 'Phaselous vulgaris, L' family. There are 7 varieties (White round, White kidney, Purple long, Purple round, Arrocina, Flat and Large Barco beans) destined for human consumption. Their cultivation has always been traditional in this area. They are sown during the second half of May, at the same time as all other varieties. Depending on the size and weight of the variety used, between 80 and 100 kg of seed are sown per hectare. The water (without lime) used to irrigate the plants produces very thin skinned beans, which reduces the amount of time required to cook them, as well as softening their texture. They are most often harvested manually, pod-by-pod, without uprooting the plant. This method provides a higher quality product.
- Tuotteen tyyppi: Pulses
- Kausittainen: Consumed year-round, but especially in winter.
- Alkuperä: The production area is located in the south-west part of the province of Avila, in the region known as Barco de Avila-Piedrahita. It also covers the town of Tejado, in the province of Salamanca.
- Suositeltu juoma: El Barco Beans from Avila, almost any way they are prepared, are excellent with crianza red wines.
- Muut vaihtoehdot: The morphological characteristics of each of these varieties regarding colour, shape and size of the bean are:
- 'Blanca redonda': white in colour, eliptical shape.
- 'Blanca de riñón': white in colour, oblong shape.
- 'Morada larga': purple in colour, kidney shaped (long and flattened).
- 'Morada redonda': purplish in colour, spherical shape.
- 'Judión de Barco': white in colour, oblong shape.
- 'Planchada': white in colour, kidney shape.
- 'Arrocina': white in colour, spherical shape.
- Energy: Average
- Cholesterol: 0
- Huomautuksia: Rich in Carbohydrates, Fibre, Calcium and Iron.