The cathedral of the discordance
The Gerona Cathedral has the widest Gothic nave in the world. It was designed with three naves, but the prospect of a single nave caused work on it to be suspended and an argument that lasted 50 years.
To reach the main entrance, you must go up a large staircase from the late 17th century The main façade is Baroque, while the cloister is from the 12th century, the bell tower is from the 11th and the rest of the building is from the 14th century. The cloister is large with a trapezoidal plan that is dictated by the wall to which it is adjoined. There are works of great beauty and value on the inside. The high altar reredos made of silver, enamel and precious stones is one of the jewels of Spanish precious metalwork. The capitals of the cloister have scenes from the Old and New Testaments. The tapestry of the Creation is an important piece of Romanesque tapestry making. There is also a Beato de Liébana.
- Rakennus: Cathedral
- Tyylisuunta: Gothic
- Aikakausi: 17th century, 11th century
- Ympäristö: Cathedral Square, Episcopal Palace, church of Sant Feliu, Moorish baths.
- Mistä: 01 marras mihin: 31 maalis
- Mistä Maanantai mihin: Sunnuntai Mistä 10:00 mihin: 18:30
- Mistä: 01 huhti mihin: 31 loka
- Mistä Maanantai mihin: Sunnuntai Mistä 10:00 mihin: 19:30
- Yleinen: 7€
- Alennettu: 5€
- Ryhmät: 2,50€
- Lapset: Ilmainen sisäänpääsy
Audio guide, Guided tours, Shop