French Route stage 25: Hospital de Órbigo - Astorga
This stage passes through...
Hospital de Órbigo, Villares de Órbigo, Santibáñez de Valdeiglesias, S. Justo de la Vega, Astorga
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- French Route
- 16,20 km
- Mode of transport
- 3,50-4,50. Horseback
- 1,00-1,50. Bicycle
- 1,50-2,00. Walking
- Main difficulties
- This area marks the start of the change in level, with small elevations and hills.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- The first kilometres of the route are across a fertile plain with tobacco and beet crops, and a wide range of vegetables, then come the first differences in level with several hills set among holm oaks.
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- The local speciality is definitely the cocido maragato (chickpea stew). Little cakes and chocolate are the typical confectionery of Astorga.
- Rest areas
- San Justo de la Vega (past the town on the right bank of the river): broad wooded area with tables, benches and barbecues.