Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region: Cantabria
This is considered one of the ugliest fish in the world, but behind this appearance is hidden a fine and exquisite flesh. Its recognition in this country's cuisine is recent.
The unpleasant appearance of this fish prevented its culinary recognition until not long ago. Its recognition in this country's cuisine is due to the recipe for red scorpionfish cake, made by Arzak, who innovated by using this fish for something other than preparing soup. It is a fish whose average size ranges between 35 and 40cm and its weight between 1.5 and 2kg, with a compact body whose outstanding features are its big head and spines. The colour is another of its most characteristic aspects: it is between reddish and yellowish brown, with reddish jasper marks. The red scorpionfish is a white fish and its flesh is fine and tasty on the palate. It can be found on the market either fresh or frozen.
- Type of product: Fish
- Season: All year round.
- Origin: It is a common species in the Mediterranean, except in the Black Sea, and in the Atlantic, extending from the British Isles to Senegal and, of course, the Cantabrian Sea.
- To drink with it: White wines and cavas.
- Where to buy: The red scorpionfish can be found in most fishmongers in Cantabria and the Basque Country.
- Recipes: Fish soup
- Energy: Low
- Cholesterol: Low
- Comments: Rich in phosphorus.