Siurana Olive Oil
Aceite de oliva
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region:
Olive Oil has been cultivated and exported since the period of Roman domination. Nowadays, the Denomination protects extra virgin oils with acidity of less than 0.5%.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil obtained from the Arbequina olive, primarily, and from the Royal and Morrut varieties to a lesser extent. The is produced in the province of Tarragona, where a total of approximately 23,500 hectares are dedicated to cultivating the oil that is protected under the Denomination of Origin. The lay of the land is irregular and harvesting is manual, through the 'ordeño' method (stripping the olives from the branch). It is generally a fine, fluid oil, with an extraordinary fruity aroma.
- Type of product:
- It is sold year-round.
- The Denomination of Origin covers the production area, which is the strip that extends from Lleida to the sea, in the province of Tarragona. It comprises a total of 56 towns in the regions of El Priorato, El Bajo Campo, La Ribera d’Ebre, El Tarragonés and El Alto Campo.
- Depending on the olive harvesting method, there are two types of oil:
- Fruity Siurana:
- From the early harvest, greenish colour with body and slightly bitter almond flavour.
- Sweet Siurana:
- From the later harvest, yellow in colour, more fluid.
- Rico en lípidos y vitamina E