Granja de Moreruela
Monastery of Santa María in Moreruela
MYNT. Patronato de Turismo de Zamora
Exterior of the Monastery of Santa María de Moreruela
Silvino Martin. Patronato de Turismo de Zamora
Partial view of the interior of the Monastery of Santa María de Moreruela
The first Cistercian monastery in the Iberian Peninsula.
The monastery had a great influence on the people in the 12th century.
It seems to have been founded in 1143, although some disagree with this date. It was founded based on a late 9th century convent. The church is Gothic and dates from the 12th century. The sanctuary in the church has three levels: one with seven small apses, another made up of the ambulatory, and another made up of the Main Chapel's apse.
- Construction: Monastery
- Artistic period: Cistercian
- Historic period: 12th century
- From Apr 01 to Sep 30
- From Thursday to Sunday From 10:00 to 13:50 From 16:30 to 20:30
- Closing days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
- From Oct 01 to Mar 31
- From Wednesday to Sunday Public holidays From 10:00 to 13:50 From 15:30 to 17:30
- Closing days: Monday, Tuesday
- Admission free
You can also visit: Cistercian Visitor Centre.