- What is the currency in Spain?
The currency in Spain is the euro, the same as in other European Union countries.
The euro is divided into 100 cents.
• There are eight different coins: 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50 cents, and 1 and 2 euros.
• There are seven different bank notes, for the following amounts: 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 and 500 euros.
On the following page you will find information about types of exchanges that may be useful for planning your trip:https://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/exchange/eurofxref/html/index.en.html
- Can you request reimbursement of Value Added Tax (VAT)?
If the purchaser's residence is outside the European Union, then you can claim back the tax on any purchases totalling over €90.15. To do so, ask for the Tax Free cheque in the shop or business.
There are various companies in Spain authorised to process the reimbursement of I.V.A. (Value Added Tax) for tourists. This is a very simple procedure. You need only follow the steps below to obtain your refund:
1. Request the tax-free invoice and show accreditation of your place of residence (passport).
2. Show your purchases and have the tax-free invoices stamped at customs. (Receipts must be stamped within 3 months of purchase.)
3. Claim the amount due from the company processing the claim. They all have I.V.A. reimbursement points at the main Spanish airports and borders, for payment in cash. You can also have the I.V.A. repaid to your credit card, by bank transfer or international cheque.
Below are some of the companies that process this transaction:Global Refund Spain S.Ahttp://www.global-blue.com/destinations/spain/tax-free-shopping-in-spain/Premier Tax Freehttp://www.premiertaxfree.com/Innova Taxfree Spainhttp://www.innovataxfree.comCaja de Ahorros y Pensiones de Barcelonahttp://www.comerciaglobalpayments.com/servicios/taxfree_es.html Tax Free World Wide Spainhttp://www.taxfreeworldwide.com/Open Refundhttp://www.toegroup.eu/Comercia Global Payments Entidad de Pago S.L.http://www.comerciaglobalpayments.com/queescomercia_es.htmlFinanciera El Corte Ingléshttp://www.elcorteingles.es/informacion/financiera/financiera.htm Travel Tax Free, S.L.U. http://www.traveltaxfree.com/Also, at Terminal 1 of Adolfo Suárez Madrid - Barajas airport, there is a digital validation point for VAT reimbursements (DIVA). This will enable you to complete the paperwork and receive your VAT refund on the spot.