Serrano cured ham
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region: Andalusia
Serrano cured ham is a typically Spanish product characterised by the quality of its sensory properties.
Serrano cured ham is the hind leg of the pig that undergoes a manufacturing process, including the following phases: salting, or incorporation of salts into the muscular mass; washing, or elimination of the salt sticking to the surface of the piece; settling, drying and maturing. Its colour has to be pinkish when cut, which is done by hand in a thin slice with veins of fat.
- Type of product: Meat
- Season: All year round.
- Origin: Nowadays, the serrano cured ham industry is widespread throughout the country.
- To drink with it: Crianza red wines, fino or manzanilla.
- Where to buy: Serrano cured ham may be bought in specialised shops, supermarkets and butcher's throughout Spain.
- Recipes: Navarra style trout
- Energy: High
- Cholesterol: High
- Comments: Rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals.