Entry requirements and procedures

Do you need vaccinations to travel to Spain?

You do not need any vaccinations against illness to travel to Spain. As in any part of the world, it is advisable to have your anti-tetanus vaccination up to date if you are going to be in contact with nature and the countryside, as well as any other official vaccination programme.

Under exceptional circumstances, the Spanish authorities can ask travellers to undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are not suffering from any of the illnesses requiring quarantine listed in International Health Regulations.


What documentation is required to travel to Spain from India?

Document Required for VISA

Passport: Passport with a validity of at least three months beyond the date of intended stay.  Indian Passports older than 10 years will not be accepted. Passport should have at least two blank pages.

Application Form: Two VISA application forms dully filled in and signed with a blue ball-point pen by the applicant. (The first application form should be filled in original and the second one can be a photocopy).

Covering Letter: A Covering letter explaining in detail the purpose of the visit that the Applicant intends to take must be addressed to the Consulate of Mumbai.

Photographs: Two passport- photographs should be pasted on each VISA application form. The size of the photographs should be 35 mm x 45 mm with the head centered in the frame and against a white background. The size of the face to be 3 cm.

Requirements according to the purpose of visit

- If the purpose of the visit is a business trip, an original letter from the Spanish company or companies receiving him explaining the nature of the existing relation and the motive of the visit. It is not necessary that the company gets in touch directly with the Consulate. - If the purpose of the visit is a business trip, all the documents that the applicant may deem appropriate to attach in order to show the economic situation of the company, the ownership of the company and the business activity undertaken. - If the purpose of the visit is any other than the business trip (for example: conferences, participation in sports events, studies, cultural activities, etc.) all the documents which may justify the motive of the visit.

Application form in case of minors

- One authorization form, signed by the applicant and the parents, will be required. - The VISA application form has to be signed by the parents and copies of the parent's passports to be attached. If only one parent is travelling with the child, an affidavit on INR 20. - stamp paper is necessary stating that either parent have no objection to the child travelling. This affidavit has to be signed by both parents. - However, if either parent is not in India or he is not travelling with the child, for example if the father of the child has a residence or work permit for out of India, an affidavit from the father is also necessary.

Financial Papers

- Bank Statement on original 'Letter Head' of the Bank / Branch in which the applicant has an account. - This Statement should be signed by the Bank / Branch Manager and should have the address and phone numbers of the Bank / Branch and it should bear a seal / stamp of the Bank / Branch. - The Statement should show the entries for a period of three months prior to the date of application. - Income Tax Returns for last three years and Foreign Exchange endorsed on the passport. - Leave letter from the Applicants Employer.

Air Ticket & Itinerary

- Confirmed return Air Ticket / Confirmed Itineray / Booking reference [If the Applicant only submits a confirmed booking / itinerary, there is also a possibility that on confirmation of the issued visa the applicant may be asked the confirmed E-TICKET as proof of travel. If an applicant is travelling to another country / Countries before travel to Spain then the itinerary before travel to Spain is needed to be enclosed as well or tentative dates of travel to be mentioned in the cover letter if not included in the itinerary. - Hotel confirmation from the hotel in Spain. - If the traveler will stay, not a t a hotel but  at the place of  friends or relatives, living in Spain  the hosts should  submit  an letter of invitation (carta invitation) according to the following procedure: Download the guidelines. The host need to submit letter of invitation (carta invitation) along with his passport copy (mandatory for all) and work permit (if he is not Spanish National) at police station to process the invitation. The length of this process could vary in different cities, and the processing time can be from one week to several weeks. Upon receiving letter of invitation (carta invitation) the host should send it to applicant traveler in India and applicant traveler should submit to VISA officer.

Travel  Insurance: Proof of travel insurance, for a minimum of 30,000 Euros, to cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent medical attention and / or emergency hospital treatment.


What is required to get married in Spain?

  If persons of a nationality other than Spanish wish to get married in Spain they must go to the Civil Registry of the municipality where they want to celebrate the union. There you will be informed of the specific documentation required. As a general rule, it is usually requested to present full birth certificates of the spouses along with certificates of marital status, voter registration cards (at least one spouse must be registered in Spain) and a photocopy of a national identification document, passport or residence permit in force. In Spain, civil marriages between the same sex are permitted.  


Which products can be brought into Spain?

There are no limits to what you can buy and take with you when you travel between countries in the European Union, provided what you buy is for your own personal use. In these cases you will not need to prove they will be subject to personal use in quantities below 800 cigarettes, 400 mini-cigars, 200 cigars, 1 kg of tobacco, 10 litres of liqueurs, 20 of fortified wine, 90 wine and 110 litres of beer. Furthermore, monetary amounts of over 9,999.99 euros must also be declared. Travellers may not bring foodstuffs of animal origin for their own consumption into the European Union as part of their baggage (meats, meat products, milk and dairy products). The only exceptions, in general terms, are commercially packaged baby formula, and special foods required for medical reasons. Travellers arriving from the Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland may bring in small quantities of meat and dairy products for personal consumption. Other foodstuffs can be brought into Spain up to a maximum weight of one kilogram.

Travellers are permitted to enter Spain with their personal baggage, which may contain items for personal or family use, or to be given as presents. These will not in principle be considered as commercial goods, depending on the quantity or type of goods. This evaluation will be made by the customs services on arrival.

Sums of money in excess of 9,999.99 euros must be declared. Currently, over 18s are authorised to carry 200 cigarettes, or 100 mini-cigars, or 50 cigars, or 250 grams of rolling tobacco. The quantities of alcohol visitors are permitted to bring into the country are one litre of drink with an alcohol content of over 22%, or two litres with a lower alcohol content.


Are you travelling with your pet?

  There are three general rules: animals should be accompanied by their owners or representatives, must be duly identified and must have their accompanying animal health certificate, which should include a copy written in Spanish. Please take into account that all pets must be in possession of the correct veterinary certificate or passport, according to the species of animal.

If your pet is a dog, a cat or a ferret

Dogs, cats and ferrets that are less than 3 months old, and are therefore not vaccinated against rabies, are not allowed entry. Before entering Spain, your pet must fulfil a series of sanitary and identification requirements, which may vary according to the country of origin. You can check them on the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment official website. ( In most cases, your pet must be identified with a legible tattoo or microchip, and the valid passport must prove that it was vaccinated against rabies. The animal must not travel within 21 days after its first vaccination.  

If your pet is a bird

Birds coming from non-European Union member states should comply with a series of control requirements for safety reasons (against bird flu) which are included on the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment official website. In all cases the animal must have the veterinary certificate written at least in Spanish, issued within the past 10 days (for European Union member states), and signed and stamped by an official vet, with a declaration from the owner or their representative (for third countries). Poultry are not considered pets.  

Other species

They must all have the corresponding veterinary certificate, written at least in Spanish, issued within 10 days before the trip. Also, if you come from a country outside the European Union, on the following link from the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment, you will find information regarding the entry of your pet into Spain, by type of pet and country of origin. (   For the health certificate, please take into account that pets must be examined within 5 days before leaving the country of origin. On the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Environment website, as well as the regulations, you'll also find the corresponding certificate and passport models, written in Spanish and English.  

A few useful tips…

Make sure you have a telephone number for emergency veterinary services in the place you are planning to visit with your pet.

In addition to fulfilling all the entry requirements, you should also bear in mind the following:

• Muzzles are obligatory in some Spanish regions. • Not all types of accommodation admit animals. • Most restaurants do not admit pets. • The municipal authorities determine the places, seasons and times when dogs are allowed to enter and stay on beaches.

Before you start your trip, it is advisable to check with your chosen accommodation and transport companies about their conditions for travelling with pets.


Spain SevilleMadridCordobaMalagaBarcelonaValenciaA CoruñaGranadaCáceresCastellón - CastellóLleidaMurciaCadizVizcaya - BizkaiaPontevedraLugoHuescaLa RiojaGuipúzcoa - GipuzkoaCantabriaAlicante - AlacantBurgosToledoAlmeríaJaénAsturiasHuelvaTarragonaÁvilaÁlava - ArabaZaragozaZamoraTeruelCiudad RealLeónSalamancaGironaSegoviaCuencaOurenseBadajozNavarreValladolidSoriaAlbacetePalenciaGuadalajaraCanary IslandsBalearic Islands
Baleares MajorcaIbizaMinorcaFormentera
Canarias Gran CanariaLa PalmaTenerifeGomeraLanzaroteFuerteventura