Molina de Aragón
An important city in north eastern Guadalajara, and the capital of the old Lordship of Molina, one of the most important in the Castilian Middle Ages, the village of Molina de Aragón keeps its urban layout and medieval neighbourhoods enclosed by imposing walls. Its historic quarter has the Property of Cultural Interest designation.
A frontier garrison town throughout the Lower Middle Ages, Molina de Aragón has a castle (12th-13th centuries) with a double enclosure – the exterior one defended by several square towers in addition to the pentagonal Tower of Aragón, and the walls that surrounded the medieval village.
Among the most outstanding buildings are the San Martín Church (Romanesque, 12th-13th centuries); the Santa María la Mayor de San Gil Church (15th-17th centuries); the conventual of San Francisco (18th century), built on the old Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles Church with a Renaissance-era tower (18th century) and Neoclassical façade (1816); and the convent of Santa Clara (Romanesque-Gothic, 1284).
Other interesting spots are the Romanesque bridge over the Gallo River, the various manorial palaces from the 16th-18th centuries, the Jewish quarter and the Morería neighbourhood.
All rights reserved. Turespaña / Segittur © 2013
Website managed by: Sociedad Estatal para la Gestión de la Innovación y las Tecnologías Turísticas, S.A. (SEGITTUR)