Its collection of buildings, arranged on a medieval layout, with large houses, palaces, convents and churches, is one of the most important in Castilla-La Mancha.
The main square is the town's nerve centre. The main streets which make up the historic quarter start from here. It was built in 1777, has a rectangular plan with 18 arches on the two larger sides and 17 on the two smaller ones, and two floors of balconies and lofts. Outstanding among the religious buildings are the parish church of San Juan Bautista, from the 13th to the 17th centuries; and the convents of Santo Domingo, a Renaissance structure with a cloister on two levels; that of the Carmelite Descalzas, the Dominican nuns of Santa María and the convent of the Order of St. Bernard, all from the 16th century. From among its civil buildings it is worth mentioning the palace of the Cárdenas family; the tower of San Martín, which is Renaissance and from the 16th century; the pillory column of justice, from the 15th century; and the Lope de Vega theatre, a former Jesuit college, outstanding in which is the stone main front and the Mudejar tower. On the outskirts of the city is the Grand Fountain, a monumental work from the 16th century, whose external part is made up of a wide stone gallery covered and decorated with 22 Tuscan pillasters and a running entablature.
All rights reserved. Turespaña / Segittur © 2013
Website managed by: Sociedad Estatal para la Gestión de la Innovación y las Tecnologías Turísticas, S.A. (SEGITTUR)