Northern Route stage 14: Santander - Santillana del Mar
Colegiata de Santillana del Mar
This stage passes through...
Santander, Santa Cruz de Bezana, Boo de Pielagos, Arce, Oruña, Mogro, Miengo, Cudón, Requejada, Barreda, Queveda, Santillana del Mar
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- Northern Route
- 33,00 km
- Mode of transport
- 8,00. Horseback
- 5.00. Walking
- Main difficulties
- In Lluja, in order to not to go too far off the route, it is advisable to seek out a low tunnel under the S-20 road.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- he local vegetation features particularly holm oaks, strawberry trees (Arbutus unedo), laurel, buckthorn, juniper, chestnut, ash, oak, hazel, heather, thrift, meadow species, rock samphire. The fauna includes crustaceans (species of crab, barnacles), octopus, eels, small squid, sea bass, conger eel, gilthead sea bream, pollack, pouting, wrasse; and birds: thrush, magpies, wood pigeon, common sparrows, starling, common swift, swallows, tits, kestrels, buzzards, peregrine falcon, owls, barn owls, oystercatcher, yellow-legged seagull, European shag, sanderling. Fox, weasel, water rats, hedgehogs, badgers, moles and bats, toads, frogs, lizards, newts, and vipers.
- Craft products
- Leather, wood and ceramics.
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- Fish, shellfish and dairy products.