Vic salchichón sausage
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region: Catalonia
The quality of the best lean pork, careful manufacture and the climatic conditions of the Barcelona county of La Plana de Vic, which hugely influence its curing, give the Vic salchichón sausage its unmistakable aroma and flavour which have won it the international fame it deserves.
To make it, meat and bacon from top-quality white pigs is used together with white and black pepper and salt, all macerated for at least 48 hours and packed in natural skins. The nearby Montseny mountains, which generate a gentle but continuous breeze and cause a great deal of mist, influence the curing of the pieces for 45 days, during which they acquire the sensory qualities that have made them so highly prized. The mixture is perfectly bound together and is very aromatic and tasty. They are presented in candle shapes, 7-8cm in diameter and between 50 and 60cm long.
- Type of product: Meat
- Season: All year round
- Origin: In the area where this product is made, limited to La Plana de Vic, there are 28 villages which are the only ones which can make this exclusive meat product. The area is a wide thoroughfare between the Pyrenees and the coastal plain, at an altitude ranging between 400 and 600 metres above sea level.
- To drink with it: Young red wines or those aged in wood.
- Where to buy: Shops specialising in quality meat products.
- Energy: Average
- Cholesterol: High
- Comments: Rich in lipids and proteins.