Salamanca University was founded in 1218, and gained great prestige outside Spain as a centre for teaching and culture.
The university building has a square floorplan with a central courtyard and surrounding galleries. Its most interesting feature is its Plateresque façade. The Escuelas Menores buildings stand beside the University and have façades in a similar artistic style, and in one of their classrooms you can still see the ceiling painted by Fernando Gállego.
- Construction: University
- Artistic period: Plateresque
- Historic period: 15th century
- Setting: The historic centre of the city of Salamanca.
- From Monday to Saturday From 10:00 to 19:30
- Public holidays and Sunday From 10:00 to 13:30
- General: €10
- Reduced: €5
- Children: Admission free
The ticket includes admission to the Escuelas Mayores building and Archbishop Fonseca college.
Audio guide, Cafe