Turismo de Extremadura
Roman Theatre in Mérida
View of the Roman theatre in Mérida by night. Badajoz
Festival de Teatro Clásico de Mérida
Performance in the Classical Theatre Festival in Mérida
Calle José Ramón Mélida s/n
06800 Mérida, Badajoz (Extremadura)
World Heritage, a certification granted by UNESCO.
The emblem of Merida's heritage.
The theatre’s location was chosen to ensure the best possible acoustics for the audiences.
It can seat up to 3,000 people and stands on the hill of San Albín, where the slope improves the building’s acoustics. It was built by General Agrippa in the year 16 or 15 B.C. The stage has three access doors, and the podium is over two and a half metres high.
- Construction: Theatre
- Artistic period: Classical-Roman
- Historic period: Romanisation (B.C.)
- Setting: Amphitheatre, Amphitheatre House, circus, Roman forum, Temple of Diana.
- From Apr 01 to Sep 30
- From Monday to Sunday From 09:00 to 21:00
- From Oct 01 to Mar 31
- From Monday to Friday From 09:30 to 14:00 From 16:00 to 18:30
- Public holidays and Weekend From 09:00 to 18:30
- General: €12
- Reduced: €6