Where can I find the embassy or consulate of my country in Spain?

Foreign embassies and consulates in Spain


Where do I buy my medication?

In Spain, medications are obtained at pharmacies. They are all marked with a green cross. You will get your prescriptions from your doctor. If you come from a country in the European Union, or your country has health agreements with Spain, you will have the same prescription drug benefits as Spanish citizens.

Can I take my own medicines when travelling to Spain?

If you have an existing medical condition and require special treatment or diet you are advised to carry a letter from your doctor, translated into Spanish, indicating the nature of the condition, treatment and medicines required. If any of your medicaments fall in the controlled drugs category, you need to comply with regulations on drugs exports in your own country. Then you need to apply for the Spanish import license at your nearest Spanish consulate with the following doccumentation: - License for exportation of controlled drugs - Full name, current address and contact telephone number of applicant or Drug Unit.- Flight details (dates) and destination address in Spain.- A FAX number or address details to send the Spanish Import License once we receive it from Spain.Special dietary products are available from health shops and pharmacies.


Where do I call in the case of an emergency?

The emergency phone number is 112, valid and free in the entire Spanish territory.


Where is smoking prohibited?

In Spain, smoking is prohibited in all enclosed public areas (including public transportation vehicles and buses). It is also not permitted to smoke in health facilities (including outdoor areas that are part of its premises), any educational or training centres (except in outdoor spaces in universities and adult education centres) and playgrounds or play areas (outdoor spaces equipped for children). There are a few exceptions to the general rule. Thus, in prisons and psychiatric hospitals, inmates and patients are allowed to smoke in areas outside of their buildings or in closed rooms for smoking. Also, a specific smoking area can be assigned in residential centres for the elderly or persons with disabilities. This prohibition does not apply to private clubs for smokers. Hotels and similar establishments can book rooms for smokers, but these should be in separate areas with separate ventilation.  


Is Spain a safe country?

Spain is one of the safest countries:

In general terms, Spain is one of the safest countries in Europe for the tourists who come here.

As in any country, there are some basic safety guidelines…

We recommend avoiding isolated or badly lit places, and street gambling. It's a good idea to carry only the money you need for each outing. Be alert in crowded places, such as public transport or department stores. In public parks and other places used for leisure, don't leave objects such as mobile phones or cameras unattended.

Don't forget an expert tip on public safety: prevention is the best way to avoid this kind of problem. As well as the Police, who you can call on 112, there is information here on AlertCops, an interactive channel providing crime alerts.


Can you find services tailored for people who have Celiac Disease in Spain?

In Spain there is a growing awareness of Celiac Disease and the importance of providing gluten-free food. Therefore, more and more hotels, restaurants, campsites, parks and recreation centres are prepared for the needs of people with Celiac Disease. You can find a list of them at the official website of the Federation of Associations of people with Celiac Disease of Spain. ( In turn, the Federation recommends that tourists who do not speak Spanish carry a piece of paper with this text written on it. “Soy celíaco. Si consumo algún alimento que contenga trigo, centeno, cebada, avena, kamut, espelta o triticale, o bien sus productos derivados, puedo enfermar. Esto incluye la harina, pan, pasta, croquetas, dulces, salsas, algunos embutidos… Los celíacos podemos comer carne, pescado, huevos, legumbres, frutas, hortalizas, arroz, maíz, soja y también patata. Estos productos se deben cocinar sin harina, cocidos, a la plancha, a la brasa o bien crudos. Si durante la preparación de la comida le surgiera alguna duda, por favor consúlteme. Gracias.” Translation of above text: “I have Celiac Disease. If I eat food that contains wheat, rye, barley, oats, kamut, spelt or triticale, or any of their derived products, I could become ill. This includes flour, bread, pasta, croquettes, sweets, creams and some sausages. People with Celiac Disease can eat meat, fish, eggs, legumes, fruit, vegetables, rice, corn, soy, and potatoes. These products must be cooked without flour, boiled, grilled, roasted, or even raw. If there is any doubt during the preparation of the food, please ask me. Thank you.”


As a citizen of the European Union, what should I know about health care in Spain?

You will require your European Health Card (EHC): The European Health Card has now replaced the former E111 temporary stay form. It entitles you to the same medical care as before, identical to that received by Spanish citizens. It is valid for the period shown on the card. If you have not yet got yours, you may apply for one on line, visit

You are entitled to free medical and hospital care: Having shown your European Health Card (EHC), you will be seen by a GP during surgery hours at a local health centre or at your accommodation if you are unable to make the journey. If you need to see a specialist or go into hospital, the GP will give you the relevant medical certificate or referral. Accident and Emergency services are available at general hospitals and medical centres in holiday resorts. Private doctors and hospitals in Spain do not accept the European Health Card. If you require private healthcare you must settle your own bills or take out an insurance policy that covers it. When are forms still necessary? If you need hemodialysis or any other type of specific treatment during your stay in Spain, you will need the E-112 form, as well as authorisation from the relevant institution in your country of origin. Remember that the following are not covered in Spain: dental treatment (apart from emergency extractions) and repatriation for medical treatment. If you forget your European Health Card (EHC): You will have to pay any hospital, medical or pharmaceutical bills in advance, and then seek reimbursement from the relevant organisation in your country of origin, providing all receipts. I have an existing medical condition. May I take my own medication with me? Those requiring special treatment or diets, and wish to take their medications or special foods, should carry a letter from their doctor translated into Spanish, indicating the nature of the condition, treatment and medicines required, to present at customs should proof of the alleged condition be requested. This will also be of assistance to local doctors if the need for health care arises while on holiday. Most medicines are available in Spain. Special dietary products are available from health shops and pharmacies. British consulates may supply names and addresses of English speaking doctors in their area of influence in emergencies Remember that the European Health Card is not valid if you have travelled to Spain in order to receive specific medical treatment. The same applies to all other EU countries. In any case, you should contact the relevant office in your country of origin for full details regarding current requirements to receive medical care in Spain.


What you should know about medical care if you come from a non EU member state.

Countries that have community regulations: Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. They provide the same emergency medical facilities in the case of illness or accident as in any of the member states. Countries with bilateral agreements with Spain: Andorra, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Peru and Paraguay. You can also receive free medical and hospital attention in case of emergency due to illness or accident. For this you must issue the certificate corresponding to your country. If you have left it behind, you will have to pay any hospital, medical or pharmaceutical bills in advance, so keep the bills and then seek reimbursement of your expenses from the organisation to which you belong. Other countries:Although you will receive medical attention in an emergency, this will be liable for payment. It is therefore advisable to take out medical insurance. In any case, you should contact the relevant office in your country of origin for full details regarding current requirements to receive medical care in Spain.


Spain SevilleMadridCordobaMalagaValenciaA CoruñaHuescaGranadaBarcelonaCastellón - CastellóLleidaCadizCáceresLa RiojaMurciaAlicante - AlacantPontevedraAsturiasGuipúzcoa - GipuzkoaVizcaya - BizkaiaCantabriaLugoBurgosJaénToledoAlmeríaTarragonaÁvilaÁlava - ArabaHuelvaGironaCiudad RealLeónTeruelZaragozaSalamancaZamoraBadajozNavarreSegoviaCuencaValladolidPalenciaSoriaOurenseAlbaceteGuadalajaraCanary IslandsBalearic Islands
Baleares IbizaMajorcaMinorcaFormentera
Canarias LanzaroteLa PalmaTenerifeGran CanariaFuerteventuraGomera