Fishing tradition and delicacies from the sea
Life in the Basque Country is closely linked to the sea and fishing has become one of the area’s main industries. A vibrant maritime culture is evident in many towns along the coast.
You’ll have the chance to discover the canning tradition of the Cantabrian coast and prepare your very own artisan conserved anchovies to take home with you. You’ll also be able to immerse yourself in some of the oldest Basque fishing traditions. Of course, you won’t be allowed to leave without sampling this wonderful delicacy first.
There is a choice of two destinations which both share a great fishing tradition: Pasaia and Getaria. The Pasaia option involves a workshop which shows you how to conserve anchovies in the traditional way and a visit to the museum ship "Mater". The museum is housed in a traditional Basque tuna fishing boat where you will be made feel like a real arrantzale (fisherman) as you learn all about what the sea means to the Basques.
The Getaria experience is held in a canning company called MAISOR where visitors don typical workshop attire and learn how to conserve locally fished anchovy fillets in the traditional way. Participants can add a final touch to their tins with a personalised label.
Why not enjoy this seafood delicacy which you have prepared yourself?
Craft conserves on the museum ship Mater in Pasaia
- Guided visit to the "Mater" museum-ship: learn about the Basque fishing tradition, artisanal fishing, the world of the fisherman, the marine environment, legends and stories, etc.
- Workshop on the preparation of artisan fish canning: prepare your own tinned Cantabrian anchovies to take home.
- Aperitif on board.
Groups of at least 4 people / maximun 8 people
- Price: €20 per person (including taxes)
- Activities available in the following languages: Spanish.English.French.German
Pasaia (Guipúzcoa - Gipuzkoa)
- Duration: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes
- Date available from: 07/03/2017
- Date available to: 31/12/2018
- Additional information: All year round on request
- Category of the activity: Gastronomy. Cookery courses. Water sports
- Who is it for?: Young people. Families. Adults without children. Senior. LGBT
- Organising company: NorteSur INCOMING
Information supplied by the providerPrint
In the Ship museum MATER
Preparing the anchovies
Other activities you may find interesting
€35 per person (including taxes)
1. ... (+See more)
Vilanova de Arousa
€91.66 per person (including taxes)
Villa Cornelius, luxury cottage of highest category, ... (+See more)
Talavera de la Reina