Northern Route stage 03: Zarautz - Deba
This stage passes through...
Zarautz, Getaria, Askizu, Zumaia, Elorriaga, Itziar, Deba
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- Northern Route
- 21,30 km
- Mode of transport
- Main difficulties
- Due to the extreme differences in level, pilgrims following the Way on bicycles are advised to take the N-634 coastal road to Zumaia. The second half of this stage is easy, except for the stretch leading up to the Itziar heights, which is also best done on the N-634.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- The stretch between Deba and Zumaia, declared an "Area of Natural Interest", has some spectacular "Flysch" formations. This phenomenon occurs due to the erosive action of the sea on hard and soft strata of rocks, so they penetrate hundreds of metres into the waters like giant ribs. At low tide it is a spectacular sight.
- Craft products
- The work of craftsmen is closely linked to the peoples and culture of Euskadi. It honours the ancestral customs and ways of life and opens channels to welcome new ideas. www.ereintza.com www.gabiltza.org
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- Txakoli (Basque wine) is the local speciality in the Getaria area, and served together with baby squid Pelayo, (a recipe exported everywhere in the Basque Country), they form one of the gastronomic delights of this coast.