Santiago Almond Tart
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region:
Along with 'filloas' (Galician crepes), the Santiago Almond Tort is the most typical dessert in Galicia. The delicious cake, the delicate almond flavour and the characteristic and unmistakable cross of Santiago, made with powdered sugar, make it a well known product both inside and outside of Galicia.
The Santiago Almond Tart is a traditional cake made with flour, sugar, ground almonds, grated lemon and powdered sugar for the outside decoration. When it is made well it is spongy to the touch and delicate on the palate, with a distinct almond flavour.
- Type of product:
- It is typical of the City of Santiago de Compostela, although it is made in many other towns in Galicia.
- To drink with it:
- Dessert or sparkling wines.
- Where to buy:
- Santiago Almond Tart is available in most speciality and confectioner's shops in Galicia, as well as in a number of establishments throughout the Peninsula.
- 'Tarta de Santiago' (St. James Tart)
- Rich in fat, calcium and carbohydrates.