Santa María Collegiate Church
Collegiate church of Santa María
The Seu in Gandia.
Originally an Arab mosque, it was subsequently converted into a church, until 1499 when Pope Alejandro VI gave it the status of Collegiate Church.
It still retains its Gothic sanctuary, while the rest of the building is Baroque due to the fact that the Duchess of Gandia rebuilt the building in the sixteenth century. The edifice has only one nave and is a clear example of late Valencian Gothic architecture. It has two doors with the southern one being the oldest. The Apostles doorway used to have the sculptures of Damian Forment.
- Collegiate church
- Artistic period:
- Historic period:
- 14th century
- Ducal palace, Santa Clara Royal Convent, Pias Schools, Town Hall.
Church can only be visited during hours of worship.
Guided tours Own publications