Car on the road

What documentation is required to drive in Spain?

You must be 18 year old:

To drive in Spain you must be aged 18 or over. To rent a vehicle you must be 21 or over. Many companies also require you to have held your driver’s license for a minimum of one or two years. Remember that you will also require a credit card to rent a vehicle.

In order for Canadians to drive in Spain, they will require an International Driver’s License.

Given that conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.


What are the safety measures you should know about in Spain?

Road safety regulations: there are a series of road safety regulations you must be aware of when driving in Spain. They are as follows: - Talking on a mobile phone is prohibited while driving, unless you use a hands-free system. - Car radios and mobile phones must be switched off while re-fuelling. - A reflective jacket must be used when getting out of the car on the road or the hard shoulder. - Warning triangles must be deployed if the vehicle has stopped on the road or hard shoulder. - The installation and use of devices designed to elude surveillance by traffic police is strictly prohibited. - Overtaking can only be done on the left side of the car which you wish to pass. - It is advisable to use your lights during the day in order to improve your visibility. Furthermore: - Established speed limits must be obeyed: 120 km/h on dual carriageways and motorways, 100 km/h on conventional roads, 90 km/h on all other roads and 50 km/h in built-up areas. - Alcohol levels in the bloodstream must not exceed 0.5 g/l (0.25 mg/l in exhaled air). - Seatbelts must be worn by driver and all passengers, in front and back seats. - Helmets must be worn on motorbikes, mopeds and bicycles. - Parking in public thoroughfares is not always permitted or free. In many cities the parking areas are regulated and subject to payment. Normally these can be identified by the presence of parking meters in the vicinity.


Do you want to travel to Spain in your car?

Tourists travelling in their own vehicles should be aware that the following documentation is required:

Driver’s license: see section on “What documentation is required to drive in Spain?” Temporary registration certificate: It is valid for six months and you can request it at customs.

If you are from Canada, you should take out a Frontier Insurance policy (a temporary, obligatory, third party policy for motor vehicles).

Given that conditions may vary, we suggest that you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip .


Spain SevilleMadridBarcelonaA CoruñaMalagaCordobaGranadaLugoValenciaLleidaHuescaPontevedraVizcaya - BizkaiaLa RiojaGuipúzcoa - GipuzkoaCadizMurciaBurgosAlicante - AlacantCantabriaÁlava - ArabaAsturiasCáceresToledoAlmeríaCiudad RealÁvilaHuelvaLeónTarragonaSalamancaZaragozaZamoraGironaTeruelSegoviaOurenseNavarreJaénCastellón - CastellóCuencaValladolidBadajozPalenciaGuadalajaraSoriaAlbaceteCanary IslandsBalearic Islands
Baleares MajorcaIbizaMinorcaFormentera
Canarias Gran CanariaLa PalmaTenerifeGomeraFuerteventuraLanzarote