A prominent town located north of the capital on an important communications hub. It was repopulated by King Fernando II, who also awarded it law-codes in 1167.
The most representative building in town is the Parador de Turismo Fernando II hotel, which occupies the Caracol Tower, a 16th-century castle with wide segmental miradors and a beautiful Mudejar coffered ceiling in the main section; although it also has other attractions for the visitor, such as the church of Santa María de Azogue, outstanding in which are the doors, some multicoloured Gothic sculptures and several pillars; San Juan del Mercado, with its prominent southern door; and the hospital of La Piedad, an old pilgrims' hostel.
All rights reserved. Turespaña / Segittur © 2013
Website managed by: Sociedad Estatal para la Gestión de la Innovación y las Tecnologías Turísticas, S.A. (SEGITTUR)