French Route stage 31: Ambasmestas - O Cebreiro
This stage passes through...
Ambasmestas, Vega de Valcarce, Ruitelan, Las Herrerias, Hospital, La Faba, La Laguna, O Cebreiro
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- French Route
- 14,50 km
- Mode of transport
- 3,50-4,50. Horseback
- 1,50-2,00. Bicycle
- 2,00-2,50. Walking
- Main difficulties
- The route uphill to O Cebreiro is hard going.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- Areas with abundant vegetation: oaks, yew, poplar, ash, alders, etc. can be seen beside the path on the steep climb up to O Cebreiro. Area with small plots of farmland enclosed by slate walls.
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- The local gastronomic specialities are botillo (cured stuffed pork), empanada (savoury filled pastry), octopus, wines and brandies from El Bierzo, potatoes, sausages and cured meats, particularly cecina (cured meat) and large game animals such as venison and wild boar, etc.
- Rest areas
- Las Herrerías: on the way out of town at the Don Suero drinking fountain there is an area with shade, tables, benches and barbecues.