French Route stage 26: Astorga - Rabanal del Camino
Camino de Santiago
This stage passes through...
Astorga, Murias de Rechivaldo, Santa Catalina de Somoza, El Ganso, Rabanal del Camino
- Route belonging to:
- The Way of Saint James
- Name of route:
- French Route
- 20,60 km
- Mode of transport
- 4,50-5,50. Horseback
- 1,50-2,00. Bicycle
- 2,00-2,50. Walking
- Main difficulties
- Hard climb up to the Montes de León.
- Flora, fauna and crops
- The pilgrim enters a transitional area between the plains sown with cereals and the area of El Bierzo, with its reddish earth covered with oaks trees, heather and gorse.
- Gastronomic products, cakes and pastries
- The cocido maragato (chickpea stew) is the most famous local dish; other specialities are sausage meats and pulses.
- Rest areas
- There are rest areas in Murias de Rechivaldo (beside the hostel): area with shade, benches and tables; Santa Catalina de Somoza (at the end of the town): areas with trees, tables and benches; El Ganso (past the town): area with tables, benches and a few trees.