Beef from the Catalan Pyrenees
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region: Catalonia
The native Catalan Pyrenees breed, also called Vedella dels Pirineus Catalans, is high quality. Any means can be chosen for preparing it and it provides very tasty dishes.
The herds producing 'Ternera de los Pirineos Catalanes' or 'Vedella dels Pirineus Catalans' (Beef from the Catalan Pyrenees) basically comes from the Bruna Pyrenean breed, native to the area, resulting from a cross between the old native cow from the Catalan Pyrenean counties and the Alpine Brown breed. However, crosses with Charolais and Limousin are allowed. It is a breed intended for beef production and with excellent milk production for rearing calves. They are a very rural breed, hardy in the fields. Their food is based on grazing, complemented by hay or forage at certain periods. The beasts are slaughtered at between 9 and 12 months for females and 10 and 15 months for males. The resulting product is a meat with tones ranging from pinkish to bright red, infiltrated with intramuscular fat. It is a high-quality, very tender and juicy meat.
- Type of product: Meat
- Season: All year round.
- Origin: The area for breeding, rearing and fattening herds intended for producing meat called "Beef from the Catalan Pyrenees" is in the Catalan Pyrenees and is made up of the municipalities in the counties of Alt Empordà, Alta Ribagorça, Alt Urgell, Berguedà, Cerdanya, Garrotxa, Pallars Jussà, Pallars, Sobirà, Ripollès, Solsonès, Vall d'Aran and the municipalities of Perafita, Olost, Tavèrnoles, Lluçà, Oristà and Moià.
- To drink with it: Beef from the Catalan Pyrenees forms the basis for many dishes from the Pyrenean counties, dishes which are perfect accompanied by crianza and young reds from some of the many Catalan wine designations of origin.
- Where to buy: It can be bought in specialised shops, supermarkets, hypermarkets and butcher's in the Catalan Pyrenees. However, thanks to modern distribution channels, it is possible to find this product in superstores throughout Spain.
- Recipes: Escudella i carn d’olla
- Energy: High
- Cholesterol: High
- Comments: Rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals.