Honey from Granada
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region:
The high quality and careful production process of the Honey from Granada have lead to the recent recognition of the Denomination of Origin.
Honey from Granada stands out for its delicious taste and quality. Produced in several towns in the province, it was recently granted protection under a Denomination of Origin. This regulates the conditions that affect extraction of the product and the types of containers used to sell it. For the extraction, and machinery and methods authorised by the Control Board may be used. The containers must be of transparent, colourless glass, hermetically sealed to prevent alterations to the qualities of the product, or in clay, as long as the closure guards all of the natural flavours. In either case, the content must be 500 or 1,000 grams. It is a nutritious and healthy food and is an essential ingredient in many dishes and desserts.
- Type of product:
- The production area protected by the ‘Miel de Granada’ Denomination of Origin covers all of the towns in the province, although most beekeepers and hives (31,500 in all of the province) are located in Huéscar, Granada, Ugíjar, Motril, Lanjarón and Otívar.
- To drink with it:
- Sweet sparkling wines.
- Where to buy:
- Honey from Granada is available in most speciality shops and supermarkets in the province of Granada and in speciality food stores throughout Spain.
- With regard to the types of honey, there are three varieties, taking into account the traditional production in Granada:
- It will be either chestnut, rosemary, thyme, avocado, orange blossom or French lavender
- Rich in Carbohydrates and Minerals.