Olive Oil from Majorca
Which area of Spain is it typical?
- Autonomous region:
- Balearic Islands
Olive tree cultivation and the consumption of Olive Oil have a long tradition on Majorca. This fact brought about the recent recognition of the Protected Denomination of Origin.
It is Extra Virgin Olive Oil, obtained primarily from the 'mallorquina' variety of olive. It is produced in the Sierra de Tramontana olive growing region in the northern part of the island. The special climate and topographic conditions of the area and a traditional production process result in a unique product, golden in colour, intense in flavour and slightly sweet. Because of this it earned recently protection under the new Oil from Majorca Denomination of Origin.
- Type of product:
- It is sold year-round.
- The Sierra de Tramontana is the main production region for virgin olive oil on the island of Majorca. Located in the northern part of the island, the town of Sóller, on the northern slope of the mountains, stands out from the rest. Its secular isolation, its micro-climate and its location between the mountains and the sea, make this an exceptional location for cultivating olive trees, many of which are in groves that are thousands of years old.
- Tramontana Mountains Oil:
- Characteristic yellow colour and unmistakable acidity
- Pla Oil:
- With less acidity and unmistakable aroma
- Rico en lípidos y vitamina E