Virgen de las Angustias or Alpagés Church
The church was built by Cristóbal Rodríguez de Xarama on top of the old church of Alpajés, erected in 1681. Its classicism is a result of the influence of the school of Madrid. This church was built with exposed brick and white stone. In the façade we can see the coat of arms of Charles II, along with the one of the Order of the Golden Fleece. It has a Latin-cross plan and a transept that is not too elaborate. The design was inspired by that of the church of Il Gesù, in Rome. At present, this church is the parish of Our Lady of Angustias, patron saint of Aranjuez.
- Artistic period:
- Historic period:
- 17th century
Church can only be visited during hours of worship.