Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción

Contact details

Plaza Santa Ana, 2
14650  Bujalance, Cordoba  (Andalusia)
Tel.:+34 957171289




The tower of the “Countryside Cathedral”, as it is known because of its size, stands slightly inclined, like the tower of Pisa, among olive fields stretching as far as the eye can see.

It is a Gothic-Renaissance church (15th-16th century) constructed on the grounds of a former mosque and a 13th-century Christian church. Its main art works are attributed to the Hernán Ruiz family of three architects from Cordoba who were key figures of the Renaissance in Andalusia. The church has three wide, long naves and a Gothic sanctuary, with pointed arches and cross vaults, and a number of side chapels. Of particular note are the Renaissance altarpiece and a Baroque 18th-century side chapel. Particularly striking outside is the 55-metre slender brick tower known popularly as "the asparagus" (1611-1788), and two doors: the main one, which is from the old convent of El Carmen, and the side Baroque (18th century) door made of rose marble.

  • Construction: Church
  • Artistic period: Renaissance

Practical information


  • Sunday

    From 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM


  • Admission free


WHAT IS THERE NEARBY? (within a 2 km radius)

X Switch to mobile version

Spain SevilleMadridBarcelonaCordobaMalagaValenciaA CoruñaGranadaCáceresCastellón - CastellóLleidaMurciaCadizPontevedraVizcaya - BizkaiaLugoHuescaLa RiojaGuipúzcoa - GipuzkoaCantabriaAlicante - AlacantToledoAlmeríaJaénBurgosAsturiasHuelvaTarragonaÁvilaÁlava - ArabaZamoraZaragozaSalamancaTeruelLeónGironaCiudad RealSegoviaCuencaBadajozOurenseNavarreValladolidSoriaAlbacetePalenciaGuadalajaraCanary IslandsBalearic Islands
Baleares MajorcaIbizaMinorcaFormentera
Canarias Gran CanariaLa PalmaTenerifeGomeraLanzaroteFuerteventura