Santísima Vera Cruz Fiesta
- When?: From May 1, 2016 to May 5, 2016
- Where: Caravaca de la Cruz
- More information : http://www.turismocaravaca.com/fiestas-de-la-santisima-y-vera-cruz/
- Category: Festivity of International Tourist Interest
The purpose of this pilgrimage is to bless the fields.
This fiesta has been celebrated since the Middle Ages and is a mixture of culture, history and legend, where all the locals get involved. It has two main spectacles: the Wine Horses, and the Moors and Christians celebrations. The latter represent the battles that took place between the two sides way back in history.
On the first day, floral offerings are made at the Castle-Sanctuary. The following day starts with a reveille to the sound of bells and plenty of gunpowder. It continues with the spectacular processions that run through the town: the Moors and Christians, and the Wine Horses, the animals richly saddled, which finishes with a race up the hill to the Castle. On 3rd May the Baño de la Cruz is celebrated in the Baroque shrine, commemorating the miracle that occurred in 1384, when these blessed waters brought an end to a plague of locusts. Parades, processions and a range of firework displays complete the programme for the fiestas.
- Date: From May 1, 2016 to May 5, 2016
Caravaca de la Cruz (Murcia)
Schedules and prices
- From May 1, 2016 to May 5, 2016
* Information may be subject to modifications