Exhibition: Murillo and the Capuchins of Seville. Reconstruction
Opening of the exhibition at the Seville Museum of Fine Arts.
- When?: From Nov 28, 2017 to Apr 1, 2018
- Where: Seville Museum of Fine Arts
- More information : http://www.museosdeandalucia.es/culturaydeporte/museos/MBASE
- Activity: Exhibition
- Theme: Painting
The series of paintings by Bartolomé Esteban Murillo for the Capuchin monks of Seville is shown complete for the first time. This is the first of seven exhibitions planned for the ‘Year of Murillo’, in which Seville marks the fourth centenary of the Baroque painter’s birth.
As well as the institution’s own holdings, visitors to Seville’s Museum of Fine Arts can see 'Saint Francis of Assisi in Portiuncula', conceived as the central canvas of the main altarpiece in the Capuchin monastery, and considered one of Murillo’s finest works. The painting, which is 4.30 metres high and 2.95 metres wide, was restored by the Seville museum after it arrived on a 10-year loan from the Wallraf-Richartz Museum of Cologne. The exhibition also includes drawings and sketches reflecting the artist’s ideas for the project, such as ‘Saint Leander and Saint Bonaventure’, ‘Saint Joseph and the Holy Child’, ‘Saint John the Baptist’, ‘Saint Anthony with the Holy Child’, ‘Annunciation’, ‘Pietá’, and the ‘Adoration of the Shepherds’.
- Date: From Nov 28, 2017 to Apr 1, 2018
Plaza del Museo, 9
41001. Seville (Andalusia)
Tel. +34 955542942
Fax. +34 955542148
Schedules and prices
- From Nov 28, 2017 to Apr 1, 2018
- From Tuesday to Saturday From 09:00 to 20:00
- Public holidays and Sunday From 09:00 to 15:00
- Closing days: Monday
- Admission free
* Information may be subject to modifications