Archbishop Fonseca College
It was built in 1538 by Don Alfonso de Fonseca y Acebedo, Archbishop of Santiago de Compostela and Toledo. The architect in charge of the project was Diego de Siloé. It is built around a courtyard which is accessed through a hall with an ogive vault decorated with star motifs. The courtyard gallery has two floors: the lower floor has semicircular arches and the upper floor has segmental arches. Both floors are decorated with medallions, the work of Juan de Álava and Pedro de Ibarra, representing a series of 'Uomini Famosi' or illustrious men. Sculptures of San Agustín and San Ildefonso can be found on the main façade, alongside the medallion of Santiago in the battle of Clavijo. One of the particular highlights in its chapel is the altarpiece formed by paintings and sculptures by Alonso Berruguete. It is currently a university residence.
- Bygning: Public building
- Stilperiode: Renaissance
- Historisk periode: 16th century
- Fra Mandag til Søndag Fra 10:00 til 13:00 Fra 16:00 til 19:00
- Standard: 2€
- Reduceret: 1€