How does the Spanish healthcare system work?

The Spanish National Health Service has an extensive network of health centres and hospitals throughout the country.

The health centres offer primary health care services (family/GP services, paediatrics and nursing, with availability of midwives, physiotherapists and social workers). They are aimed to be located within 15 minutes of any place of residence. If circumstances require, medical attention can be given at the patient’s residence.

Also, in rural areas and in small villages there are local surgeries open on certain days with visits from healthcare staff from the region.

Hospitals offer specialised attention, with access via referral from primary healthcare services. There are also Accident and Emergency services available at hospitals and some health centres.

You can check hospitals and health centres in Spain at the website of the Ministry of Health.

Til toppen

Where can I find the embassy or consulate of my country in Spain?

Foreign embassies and consulates in Spain

Til toppen

Where do I buy my medication?

In Spain, medications are obtained at pharmacies. They are all marked with a green cross. You will get your prescriptions from your doctor. If you come from a country in the European Union, or your country has health agreements with Spain, you will have the same prescription drug benefits as Spanish citizens.

Til toppen

Where to call in case of emergency?

Dial 112 free of charge (valid throughout Spain). Service is given in Spanish, and also in English, French and German in some tourist areas.

Til toppen

Is Spain a safe country?

Spain, one of the safest countries:

In general terms, Spain is one of the safest countries in Europe for visiting tourists.

As in any country, there are basic security measures to bear in mind…

Try not to walk around empty streets or poorly-lit areas, and avoid street gambling stalls. Try to carry only the money you need for any one excursion. Take care of your possessions in crowded places such as public transport or department stores. When relaxing in public places, keep valuable objects like mobile phones and cameras out of view.

Do not forget advice from security experts: Prevention is the best cure for this kind of problem. If you need help you can contact the Police on 112.

Til toppen

What you should know about medical care if you come from an EU member state.

You are entitled to free medical and hospital care:

Having shown your European Health Card (EHC), you will be seen by a GP at a local health centre or at your accommodation if you are unable to make the journey. If you need to see a specialist or go into hospital, the GP will give you the relevant medical certificate or referral. Accident and Emergency services are available at hospitals.

You will require your European Health Card (EHC):

With the European Health Card you will receive the same temporary healthcare services as any other Spanish citizen. The expiry date can be found on the European Health Card and it is valid in EU countries, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

It is available from the relevant healthcare organisation in your country of origin. Private doctors and hospitals in Spain do not accept the European Health Card. If you require private healthcare you must settle your own bills or take out an insurance policy that covers it. Find out where to get your European Health Insurance Card here: European Health Insurance Card

When will forms be necessary?

If you need haemodialysis or any other type of specific treatment during your stay in Spain, you will need the E-112 form, as well as authorisation from the relevant institution in your country of origin. Remember that the following are not covered in Spain: dental treatment (apart from emergency extractions) and repatriation for medical treatment.

If you forget your European Health Card (EHC):

You will have to pay any hospital, medical or pharmaceutical bills in advance, and then seek reimbursement from the relevant organisation in your country of origin, providing all receipts.

Remember that the European Health Card is not valid if you have travelled to Spain in order to receive specific medical treatment. The same applies to all other EU countries.

Some countries do not use the European Health Card yet. If this is the case, you should travel with the relevant document from your country, which has been designated valid until the new card is introduced. In any case, you should contact the relevant office in your country of origin for full details regarding current requirements to receive medical care in Spain.

Til toppen

Hvad bør du vide om sundhedspleje, hvis du er bosat i et land uden for EU?

Lande, der hører ind under EU's sundhedspolitik: Schweiz, Norge, Island og Liechtenstein. Rejsende fra disse lande har i tilfælde af akut opståede sygdomstilfælde eller ulykker ret til de samme sundhedstjenester som rejsende fra EU's medlemslande. Lande, som Spanien har indgået en bilateral aftale med: Andorra, Brasilien, Chile, Ecuador, Peru og Paraguay. Rejsende fra disse lande har ret til gratis lægehjælp og hospitalsindlæggelse i tilfælde af akut opståede sygdomstilstande eller ulykker, hvortil de skal have udstedt et certifikat i hjemlandet. Har man glemt at medbringe et sådant certifikat, skal udgifter til hospitalsindlæggelse, lægehjælp og medicin betales forud. Herefter kan man søge om at få udgifterne refunderet mod fremvisning af faktura. Andre lande:Selvom man vil modtage lægehjælp i tilfælde af akut opståede sygdomstilfælde eller ulykker, så vil dette ske mod betaling, hvorfor det anbefales at tegne en privat sygeforsikring. Vi anbefaler, at man i god tid inden afrejse får klarlagt, hvilke krav der gælder for at modtage lægehjælp i Spanien.

Til toppen

Spain SevillaMadridBarcelonaMálagaA CoruñaGranadaValenciaCórdobaLugoCádizLleidaHuescaCáceresAsturienVizcaya -VizkaiaLa RiojaMurciaPontevedraGuipúzcoa - GipuzkoaAlicante - AlacantToledoCantabrienBurgosAlava - ArabaAlmeríaÁvilaHuelvaSalamancaZamoraTarragonaTeruelZaragozaCiudad RealLeónSegoviaGironaCuencaNavarraValladolidCastellón - CastellóJaénOurenseSoriaBadajozAlbacetePalenciaGuadalajaraDe Kanariske ØerBalearerne
Baleares MallorcaIbizaMenorcaFormentera
Canarias Gran CanariaLa PalmaTenerifeGomeraFuerteventuraLanzarote